Yo people of the internet, time for the trailer review I’ve been waiting an eternity to watch; the official trailer for Star Wars The Force Awakens. I waited all of yesterday for this trailer but didn’t know when it was specifically coming out, so when it did get released it was like 3am over here in the UK, but it was worth the wait because I loved the trailer and I’m gonna attempt to tell you why in this review.
Check out the trailer below:
I think this may be the best trailer I’ve seen to any film this year. I know that’s an incredibly biased statement but screw it, it’s frigging Star Wars and because of this final trailer I have no doubt in my mind that this film will be awesome. I liked the first teaser, really digged the second, but this trailer just blows the previous two out of the water.
I am honestly a little lost for words, this trailer blew me away. I had hopes and they were met and exceeded. Would I like to have seen more like possibly some footage of my man Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker? Of course I would! And am I still curious to know where Domhnall Gleeson, Andy Serkis and Lupita Nyong’o are also? Totally! But the brilliance of this trailer is in the fact that it gives you so much and yet holds back the finer details. You still don’t know what the story is and there’s still a lot of room for speculation.
There is so much awesomeness in this trailer that’s it’s hard to find a place to start. I’ve seen the trailer around 3 times and yet I feel like even after that talking about this trailer won’t be enough because there is so much to cover. Firstly I will say that the presentation is simply amazing. The dog fights have this new level of energy and intensity not yet seen in the series, X-Wings and Tie Fighters fly, shoot, crash and explode with clarity, beauty and speed, and the classic Millennium Falcon is the thick of it getting chased too. And seeing these different locations like space or that snowy planet or the jungle/water-based planet as the arenas for these crazy battles looks so good. Those visual effects people are really taking Star Wars into the modern era with the cinematography used for these battle sequences.
There are loads of little things to mention like:
- Rey is special: This lady feels very similar to Luke Skywalker because of where she begins; she’s in a desert, looking out to the stars and because of a specific event it will trigger her adventure. She seems tenacious, strong and it looks she’ll be the central focus of this film.
- Finn, where does his alliance lie?: Finn looks like he grew up believing what he was doing, but has defected and starts a new path in this film. I also love how he goes from being a Stormtrooper to joining Rey to then attempting to fight Klyo in the forest (that scene alone look frigging epic), he’s gonna have one hell of a story arc.
- Klyo Ren, the dedicated badass: Klyo is definitely a Darth Vader fanatic, he’s on a mission to complete something that Vader didn’t finish (at least that’s what his dialogue suggests), he’s got a badass posse with his Knights of Ren with him in the rain, he’s someone you don’t want to encounter as demonstrated with his force abilities being used on Poe in a torture scene.
- Poe Dameron, more that meets the eye: Besides being a good pilot, he looks like he’ll be pretty important as he has some interaction with Klyo Ren (as mentioned above) but also with Finn which makes me wonder if there’s some history between them whether it is prior to this film or during with Finn converting from the Order to join Poe (that shoulder tap and Finn’s reaction suggests that there may be some allegiance there).
- Han Solo is a believer: Out of the original trio, Han shows up the most and seems like he’ll be the guide for Rey and Finn into this world we’ve known for a while now. When Rey asked him about the events of the past and he says that “It’s true, all of it.” It feels like he’ll be giving them the history on what took place in the Original Trilogy. Also when he says “The dark side, the Jedi, they’re real.” That’s a big statement as he was a non-believer many moons back but has definitely changed his opinion on those things. Also I liked seeing him and Chewbacca lowering their hands from their heads, but what was even more interesting was seeing him and Leia hug, I wonder if they’re still together or that the events of this film bring them back into each others lives?
- The Millennium Falcon’s warp speed: I know it’s a minor detail, but in the original films we never saw the Falcon while it was in warp. It would always boot up and then blast away into the distance, but here we see the full extent of the speed much like the starship Enterprise in Star Trek (2009).
Oh and that music, bloody hell, hearing those classic themes reworked into this trailer (“Han Solo and the Princess”) being all loud and dramatic over this footage was beautiful. It gave me goosebumps and felt suitably nostalgic. I loved it and I wonder if that’s just cut for the trailer or if it’ll be part of John Williams’ new soundtrack for The Force Awakens? I really hope the new film can sound similar to this because I’ll lose my mind.
I have to hand it to J.J. Abrams for his ability to keep this film secret for so long and continuing his trend of not revealing key details for his films in the marketing process especially when it comes to this trailer. And speaking of Abrams this film definitely has his style over it in terms of the camera work and swifter pace, and it looks like he’s gonna breathe new life into this franchise the same way he did with 2009’s Star Trek (and I loved that film so I can only imagine how good TFA will be).
In conclusion Star Wars: The Force Awakens, I’m beyond excited for this film, I know I’ve probably missed out tons of details but I’m only offering quick thoughts. This is all I’ve wanted out of the films of 2015 and if it is nearly as good as this trailer suggests then it will be the best December film experience I’ve had in a long time. I just want this film now, give it to me! MY BODY IS READY!
So have you seen the trailer for The Force Awakens and if so are you hyped or underwhelmed? Please be sure to comment below and I’ll see ya on the next review, laters! 😀