Okay ladies and gentlemen, an important day has come, a day I have looked forward to for a while now; the day, when the Jurassic World teaser trailer was released. Now the teaser was meant to come out on Friday, however it got released early, TODAY and now I have to talk about it!
Check out the teaser below:
My first reaction after seeing the trailer? Underwhelmed.
Now, before you people attack me for expecting too much, allow me to explain. Do not misunderstand me, I do like the teaser, there are a lot of interesting things to take away from this trailer. That being said, this trailer didn’t knock my socks off or speak to my nostalgic inner child.
With those first factors established, let me talk about the major points of interest in the trailer.
- Isla Nublar Has Turned Into A Futuristic Orlando Resort: I think the most interesting element of this trailer is the fact that Isla Nublar, the island from the first film, has been converted into the equivalent of Disneyland and Orlando Resort, but more so Orlando than anything else. Looks like Jurassic Park is now this massive tourist location with hundreds of customers, it is filled to the maximum! People casually travel by these clear, spherical cars to watch dinosaurs or catch a big water show with a huge dinosaur (like when you watch a show with a killer whale or dolphins). I can’t wait to see this place get trashed.
- Dinosaurs Everywhere!: It seems like we have a good few dinosaurs on display like Brachiosaurus, Gallimimus, Velociraptors and something that looks like a Pliosaurs. Seems like there will be a lot of dinosaurs on display and hopefully they will be around to cause some chaos and eat people too.
- Humans Never Learn & People Will Die: Since this is a sequel, the film exists in canon to the previous films. You’d think that these scientists would know not to tamper with this science stuff. Even more so the visitors, are they all brain-dead? Going to an island theme park filled with dinosaurs, don’t you think there might be some danger involved? I can’t help but feel like these humans will just be cattle for the slaughter and have no reason for me to care about them when they get eaten.
- There’s A New Dinosaur In Town: In this trailer there’s talk of a new genetically modified dinosaur, one that’s a big deal and has the people who work at the park worried. We cannot see the dinosaur, but it seems pretty dodgy. The only thing that troubles me is that it maybe a dinosaur/human hybrid like the concept art which was released online a little while ago, those things were ugly!
- Raptors! But They’re Not Attacking The Human?: Right at the end of the trailer we see Chris Pratt on a motorcycle along with the legendary Velociraptors, but one thing looks off about these monsters; they’re not attacking Pratt. Instead it looks like they’re running and fighting with him. So what, are they docile now? Do they have a close attachment to Pratt’s character? Or do they see something more interesting ahead of them? One can only speculate at the moment.
Other than that Chris Pratt looks pretty cool and Bryce Dallas Howard seems to be a smart person caught in the center of the chaos. There isn’t much detail about the story, but that’s to be expected at this point. Also let’s talk about the CGI. Now I know one should not knock a teaser trailer for its special effects considering that it is still over half a year away, but, the trailer has been released as it is, so naturally people are going to be critical of things that aren’t finished. With all that being said, the GCI, it looks good for the most part, however there is no denying the fact that it looks a bit rough and nowhere near as polished as the original film (the scene with the shark comes to mind). I think the reason why people go on about the special effects is because in 1993, the first film created some of the most impressive-looking visual effects in film history and it is insane to think that visual effects companies still can’t seem to reproduce the same results as a film that’s 20 years later. But hell, we’ve got time, hopefully things will look super slick by June next year. I also hope that the story holds up, I mean this film does just look like humans messed up and now the dinosaurs are on the attack again, but let’s hope that there is more to the film than that.
In conclusion the first trailer for Jurassic World looks interesting. The whole concept of an Isla Nublar being a theme park is very intriguing and different from the previous films and the idea of there being a genetically modified dinosaur which hasn’t been seen has my interest. Along with Chris Pratt’s involvement and my massive nostalgic love from Jurassic Park, Jurassic World will be watched in cinema regardless of how the film ends up.
So what do you think of the teaser trailer for Jurassic World? Does it fill you with excitement or are you not very impressed? Whatever your thoughts are, be sure to comment below and let me know. See you on the next review yo. 🙂