Good day to you ladies and gentlemen, time for a new trailer review and today I’m gonna be talking about Lucy, the new sci-fi thriller starring Scarlet Johansson. Now I was gonna do a review for this as son as I saw the trailer when it was released online, but then uni work got in the way. But I’m available let’s talk about the first trailer for this film.
Check out the trailer below:
First thoughts after seeing the trailer? Looks interesting. While I’m not falling head over heels in love with it like some other people are online, I do think this film has the potential to be good. To be honest I’m getting vibes from Limitless and Akira. While I have yet to see Limitless, I can see very clear similarities that film with the main character getting dug that allows them to use their mind to do really amazing things. I just have a few questions about the plot and nature of the powers that Lucy has. It seems like she begins to become super smart and talented far beyond that of a normal human being as she seems to see beyond that of normal things and enters some next level superhuman levels of power. This of course makes her the subject of a few enemies here and there and somehow Morgan Freeman fits into the equation because of his research into the human brain.
So from what I understand in this trailer Johansson’s character was carefree soul until she was abducted, experimented on and forced against her will to do something for an organization that look like high-ranking Yakuza. Though what these guys don’t bet on is the fact that whatever is in her stomach gives her cool super powers in terms of strength, intelligence and badassery. Now goes on journey where she wants to get the drunks removed from her but in the process gains more power and knowledge, as the power throw people around through telekinesis and has the ability to shut other people down with the flick of her hand. Super crazy. I see drama, action, thriller and science fiction all rolled into one film here and I am very intrigued to see how it all plays out.
Highlights of the trailer:
- Lucy gets tough: Some guy comes in looking for a good time with Lucy, she invites him, he goes over and Lucy wastes the guy, and grabs a gun by using some sort of rope, wrapping it around a table leg and dragging it towards herself.
- The several eye colours of Lucy: Just the small segment where we see Lucy blink several times and her eyes go through several colours is weird but really cool too.
- Do you speak English?: My favourite scene in the trailer would be when Lucy heads into the street and asks an Asian guy if he’s English, he says ‘no’ repeatedly and is shot. She then asks the second Asian guy and he instantly says ‘yes’. Haha you know not to fuck with a woman who has you at gunpoint yo. 😛
- She can change her hair colour!: It is another quick scene but it looks like Lucy gets so powerful genetically that she can change her hair colour and length at will, she has to lead to some cool stuff in the film. Possibly shape-shifting abilities?
- I can control time itself!: Another quick moment is when it looks like Lucy pulls a Professor Xavier and slows down time, stops it, but goes one step beyond that and speeds it up. She must be changing into a god.
In conclusion Lucy looks pretty interesting. Scarlet Johansson is one of those actresses I’ll watch her in anything because A) She is super gorgeous and B) She is a great actress that normally turns in good performances in the films she is in. While I am worried that the premise may not live up to the expectation, it does look like it is original enough to be an entertaining film. And how long has it been since we had a proper good sci-fi film with a badass female in the lead role? Too long, I hope this film turns out to be good.
So what did you think of the first trailer for Lucy? Whatever your thoughts are be sure to leave a comment below and I’ll be sure to see ya on the next film review yo! 😀