Hello again ladies and gents, time for some film news. As you may be aware, the first trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy went online yesterday and it seems to be received well by most who have seen it, I reviewed it earlier on today. And now James Gunn has surfaced and provided some new details about the film. The following information comes from IGN:
“The first Guardians of the Galaxy trailer has only just debuted online, but director James Gunn has already been talking about the action therein.
Speaking to Total Film, Gunn explained that Raiders of the Lost Ark is a big influence on the film’s action, most notably the trailer’s opening scene, and that the pinnacle of his career thus far is the shot in which the camera “circles around a maniacal raccoon shooting a machine gun on the back of a living tree.”
The cute critter in question is of course rocket Raccoon, who is voiced by Bradley Cooper, and while his dialogue wasn’t ready for the trailer, Gunn explains “We hired Bradley because he’s able to do both comedy and drama – it’s the thing I look for most in the actors on all my films. And to truly sell Rocket – for you to believe a Raccoon can talk and blow up and shoot tons of stuff – we needed a well-rounded actor.”
As for other interesting stuff that Total Film learned during their chat…
– Gunn describes the Guardians as “a thief, two thugs, a murderer, and a maniac.”
– E.T. tree Groot – voiced by Vin Diesel in the flick, is “An innocent… 100% deadly and 100% sweet.”
– The “bunch of a-holes” line was an ad-lib that Gunn threw at Peter Serafinowicz.
– The spaceship shot sees the gang facing off with a fleet of the villainous Ronan the Accuser’s Necrocraft.
– Gamora (Zoe Saldana) and Nebula (Karen Gillan) are “the two most hardass characters in the movie” with Gunn comparing them to Clint Eastwood.
– 1970s and ‘80s songs play a big part in the movie, with Peter Quill’s Walkman his one connection to the earth he left behind.
– There are more cool character reveals left, including Michael Rooker’s Yondu, Glenn Close’s Nova Prime, and the aforementioned Ronan the Accuser.
Gunn ends the interview saying he can’t wait for the film to hit in August, and on this evidence, neither can we.”
Just like any of Gunn’s previous interviews I’m liking the sounds of his words and it gives me hope for this new Marvel film especially since the trailer gives us some visual material to work with. His comments about Bradley Cooper voicing Rocket makes me happy, Cooper is great actor with diverse acting skills, here’s hoping that he rocks the role with his voice. I also like his individual comments too. The way he describes the Guardians is great, makes them sound very random and unlikely as a good of heroes. I love how he’s said that Gamora and Nebula are harasses, I love hardcore female characters. Also happy that Gunn gave justification as to why that song was included in the trailer because it is actually part of the film. Again everything I’m hearing about this film makes me smile and I hope that it works out. I need August to come sooner rather than later.